Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Every filipino family has its own version of this and I got this one off my mother. In true tradition, every woman in my family has made their own changes as they've adopted it. Its a very strong taste and for people unfamiliar with it, the ingredients may sound unappealing... but give it a go anyway! Also, you can chose to use chicken with its skin on or a combination of chicken and pork. Less healthy but yummy!
- 1 (500 g) whole chickens (cut into large pieces)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves (crushed but not chopped)
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn (whole)
- 3 bay leaves
- Rub chicken with brown sugar (place between skin and meat if using chicken with skin on) then place in container and add soy sauce, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar and crushed garlic cloves.
- Marinate 2-4 hours in the refrigerator. (This can be done overnight, however the taste can be quite strong.).
- In a deep saucepan heat the oil then remove chicken from sauce and brown each piece till chicken is almost fully cooked.
- Add marinade and add peppercorns and bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Do not touch the chicken or turn for first 15 minutes.
- Half-cover with a lid and simmer 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the vinegar smell is gone.