Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A slow-cooker version of a dish popular in Filipino cuisine.
- 1 (3 lb) frying chicken, skinned and cut into serving pieces
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 3⁄4 cup soy sauce (low sodium is ok)
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh peeled gingerroot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- green onion, sliced (for garnish)
- Place chicken pieces in a slow cooker.
- Add in garlic, bay leaves, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, peppercorns, and brown sugar; toss until thoroughly mixed.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and chicken stock; mix to form a slurry; add to slow cooker and gently stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, until the meat is very tender.
- Leave the chicken pieces whole or shred the meat.
- Serve at once, garnished with the green onions.
- **Serve with white rice and stir-fried vegetables.