Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
While the recipe is as varied as the 7,101 islands of the archipelago, Adobo is no doubt the national dish of the Philippines. Here's my version, it's very simple yet it's one of the most requested. Let me know what you think. Note: You can substitute Sprite with regular brown sugar if you wish, use about a teaspoon.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2⁄3 cup light soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup Sprite, regular
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
Filipino Tomato Salsa
- 8 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onion, white part only
- freshly ground salt & pepper
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Put all ingredients in a (approximately) 5 quart pan.
- Cover and cook on the stove on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cover, turn the heat to high and cook for another 5-10 minutes or until the soup is reduced to desired consistency.
- Chop tomatoes and mix all the other salsa ingredients and toss.
- Serve over boiled rice with tomato salsa.