This is a scrumptious dish I got from the Rachel Ray show. I think she made it faster, but I take a bit longer in the kitchen. ;) I also added 1 - 2 tsp poultry seasoning,sprinkle of creole seasoning,salt and pepper to taste in my attempt at this. (for ZWT3 - Southern spin on a chicken pot pie- comfort food!)
- 8 puff pastry shells (recommended brand Pepperidge Farms Since most puff pastry shells come in packages of six, buy two, a)
- 3 stalks celery ribs, thinly sliced on a long angle
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced on a long angle
- 1 bay leaf (fresh or dry)
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced into strips
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 lb thin asparagus, cut into one-inch pieces on a long angle
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 5 -6 sprigs fresh tarragon, leaves stripped and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven as directed on package for pastry.
- Place pastry shells on a non-stick baking surface then place in oven.
- Bake pastries until golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a large, deep skillet add approximately 2 tablespoons oil to medium high heat.
- Add celery, onions, carrots, bay leaf and a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, until the veggies start to get tender, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Add the red bell pepper and cook for an another 2-3 minutes.
- Push the veggies to the edge and add the butter to the center of the pan.
- Once melted, add the flour and cook for about a minute.
- Whisk in white wine, chicken stock and cream.
- Bring to a simmer then add the chicken pieces.
- Once simmering again, add the asparagus. Continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the asparagus is tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add peas and tarragon and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place 2 shells on each dinner plate and fill each shell with the chicken mixture. Place pastry lid on top and garnish with a sprig of tarragon.
- Enjoy ;)!