Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
We love tasty chicken recipes in our house! This one is colourful and tasty. It came from my European recipe collection from 1978.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 1⁄2 green peppers, sliced thinly
- 1 1⁄2 red peppers, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced thinly
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup long grain rice, washed and drained well
- 1 chicken breast, from a 3 lb chicken,deboned and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- When the butter is hot, add the onions and cook uncovered for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the green peppers, the mushrooms and the garlic.
- You may also add the red pepper now, or save it for garnish.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix.
- Stir in the rice, then add the chicken and the chicken stock.
- Mix well, bring to a boil then cover and place in the oven at 350 degrees F for 16 minutes.
- If you are using the red pepper for garnish, saute it first in butter for 1-2 minutes.
I made this recipe in my cast iron chicken fryer, went from stove top to oven. Only change was a bit more salt and red pepper flakes sprinkled after serving. The time was spot on. Thanks for an easy, tasty, one pot meal.