Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here's a little invention I came up with when DH and I were low-carbing faithfully - he loved it!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- minced garlic
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (or more to taste)
- salt and pepper
- In a nonstick skillet, cook chicken breasts in a small amount of olive oil; remove from heat when done and set aside.
- In a large saucepan (I used a 3 quart saucepan), sauté onions, bell pepper, and garlic in a small amount of olive oil until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, mushrooms, and green chilies, and sauté for a few minutes longer.
- Add heavy cream and cheese; stir frequently until cheese is melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat until sauce is bubbly.
- Pour sauce over chicken in skillet; heat until sauce thickens slightly, stirring frequently.
- NOTE: I have since made this recipe without the green chilies and find that I like it better that way.
- NOTE: This recipe makes a LOT of sauce.
- If you don't like so much sauce, cut back on the cream.
This was very good. I am low carbing it these days, and this was a nice change of pace!