Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
True Chicken a la King is made of all white meat, pure cream and sherry wine. The recipe here, adapted from the Ball Blue Book of Canning, is suitable for canning.
- 2 (3 1/2-4 lb) stewing chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 stalks celery, quartered
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, quartered
- 5 peppercorns
- 2 whole allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter (or chicken fat)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped (about 1 stalk)
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine chicken, celery stalks, onion, carrot, peppercorns, allspice, bay leaf and salt in a large saucepan. Cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat; simmer 2 to 3 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove and discard vegetables. Allow chicken to cool in broth. Remove chicken. Skim off excess fat; strain broth. Remove skin and bones from meat. Cut meat into 1" pieces.
- Melt butter or fat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Gradually stir ini the chicken broth and cook until it's thickened, stirring constantly. Add chicken and remaining ingredients. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps. Process pints 1 hour and 5 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 15 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam pressure canner.
- Yield: about 4 pints or 2 quarts.
- To serve:.
- Brown 1-2 cups mushrooms in butter; add mushrooms to Chicken a la King, if desired. Heat until hot throughout.
I have been actively canning for 47 years, often making Chicken a La King. The only difference in my method versus yours is that I put mushrooms in the initial recipe. After I open the quart jar I will then add a little wine and cream if serving to adults. Children seem to be just as happy with it right from the jar without adding wine and cream.