Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This recipe came from Paula Deen's newest cookbook "Celebrates". This is a great cookbook because it's set up in menus for various events over the year. This one is in the Graduation Potato Bar menus. So, if you're setting up a potato bar, this is a great addition. There are several others too, that I am also posting.
- Place the chicken in a large pot with 1 teaspoons of the salt and water to cover.
- Cook over medium heat until the chicken is tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove the skin and bones and cut the meat into 1-inch pieces.
- Reserve 1 cup of the broth.
- Make a white sauce by melting the butter in a heavy medium saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in the milk, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon; cook until thick, about 4 minutes.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms, green pepper, pimiento, and almonds.
- Add the cream, the remaining salt, and pepper.
- Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the chicken broth if the mixture is too thick.
- Keep hot in a crockpot or chafing dish over very low heat.
- Serve over baked potatoes.