I copied this one out of a friend's book so many moons ago that I can't remember where it's from, but it's so decadently fattening that I can't resist pigging out now and then. I usually serve with rice, but I suppose it would go with noodles or new potatoes just as well.
- 12 ounces chicken, cooked (in fairly large cubes)
- 2 ounces butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 450 ml milk
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, deseeded & chopped
- 1 cup canned pimiento, chopped
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- to taste parsley, Chopped
- Melt 1 1/2 ozs butter, add the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring.
- Gradually add milk and cook, stirring, until thick and smooth.
- Melt the remaining butter and saute sliced celery, button mushrooms and chopped pepper until soft but not coloured.
- Add celery, mushrooms, pepper, chicken and pimiento to the sauce and heat through.
- Season to taste. Combine the egg yolks, double cream and Worcestershire sauce. Add to the chicken mixture and heat through.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with chopped parsley.