Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I first made this with leftover turkey from thanksgiving. From my Quick Cooking Cookbook We really enjoyed this dish for a quick lunch - I omitted the mushrooms and added a handful of peas and carrots instead - till it looked like it had enough vegetables for our liking
- 1 3⁄4 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 2 tablespoons diced pimentos
- 10 biscuits, in a can
- Bake the biscuits as directed as you prepare the main dish.
- Saute mushrooms, onions, and celery in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour and salt until blended.
- Gradually add broth and milk bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add chicken and pimientos. reduce heat to simmer, uncovered for 4-6 min until heated through.
- Serve with the hot biscuits.
This was so yummy. The pimientos added such a nice touch of color as well as taste, and the sauce was so flavorful. It all was really delicious. This is an easy dish to prepare too, so it would be a good choice for a busy night. It is the kind of dish I grew up enjoying throughout my childhood, that kind of comfort food that really hits the spot for me. I look forward to trying it with turkey too, as mentioned in the introduction. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Candle Lover. Made for Fall 2011 Pick-A-Chef.