Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love this stuff. I first ate it at a mother-daughter banquet at church. I was hooked, so I had to have the recipe. Thanks Beverly! I have also eaten this over biscuits. Yummy.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (about 3)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (12 ounce) jarhome-style chicken gravy or 1 (7/8 ounce) packethome-style white gravy mix
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms or 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant rice
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimiento, pieces well-drained
- Cook and stir chicken in hot butter on low to medium heat in a large skillet until lightly browned and fork tender.
- Add gravy (if using gravy mix in package, make before adding to skillet).
- Add peas, milk, mushrooms, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 minutes.
- Bring back to a full boil; stir in rice and pimiento.
- Cover, remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff with fork and serve hot.
This is such a quick and simple recipe, I loved it. My boyfriend was very happy with it as well. I could not find pimientos in my local grocery store but I used diced up jarred roasted red peppers (which is basically the same thing, I think) instead and I omitted the mushrooms. I served it with white rice. It was very tasty and I loved how easy it was to make. Thanks for posting!
This was a wonderfully simple, tasty, kid pleasing dish. I had to omit the pimentos and mushrooms for my family's taste but it was still great! Also I used a pound of chicken tenders that I cut up and used the jar of homestyle chicken gravy. It was a hit at my house...my 4 yr old had 3 helpings! Thank you!