Recipe by BlueRidgeMama
My dad used to make this when I was a kid and I always loved it. It's easy and uses things I usually have on hand. Serve over toast points, rice, or noodles.
Top Review by dissjwine
Made half the recipe and served over rice. More than enough for the two of us. Used red pepper as didn't have pimentos in the pantry. Will make again scaling it back further in size. Really liked the combination of ingredients. Thanks to you and your dad for a recipe I will enjoy playing with to suit two seniors.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup milk
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté mushrooms in 1 tbsp butter until done and set aside.
- Melt remaining 1/2 cup butter in large sauce pan and cook onion until softened. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute to make a rue.
- Whisk in broth and bring to a simmer. Add chicken, pimentos, peas, salt & pepper, sherry and mushrooms with any accumulated juices. Let simmer, stirring frequently, until somewhat thickened.
- Stir in milk and serve over toast points, rice or egg noodles.