Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
When I know I'll be having a busy day with little time for cooking, I prepare this tasty main dish, with tender chicken and colorful vegetables, it smells so good while cooking. This recipe is: Diabetic Friendly This is a good, old-fashioned recipe for everyone's recipe file, in my opinion.
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons diced pimentos, drained
- hot cooked rice
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine soup, flour, pepper and cayenne until smooth. Stir in chicken, celery, green pepper and onion. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat juices run clear. Stir in peas and pimientos. Cook 30 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with rice.
- My Note: I have made this several times. It is much better if you use 2 cans of cream of chicken soup so there is more sauce for over the rice. I thicken it a bit at the end with some cornstarch until it's the consistency I like. You don't want it too thick though, because the rice will soak up the tasty sauce. I add garlic and a couple diced carrots and some extra seasoning like Emeril's Essence. I add fresh parsley at the end too. This really is a good recipe. I actually liked it better the 2nd day after it had thickened some.
- This is really good. I made some changes to reduce the fat/calories a bit. I use the 98%FF cream of chicken and a little less chicken with more veggies. I use frozen peas and carrots and add about a teaspoons of garlic powder. I love slow cooker meals and this one turns out great every time. This is a good, old-fashioned recipe for everyone's recipe file, in my opinion.