Recipe by MoonFallsDown
This recipe, originally called Chicken Elegante, was given to me by my roommate. She got it from her grandfather (the family calls it Chicken a la Dad), and since I got it from her, I call it Chicken a la Kelly. The recipe calls for a 750ml bottle of wine which will yield a large amount of gravy. I find the gravy to be delicious and serve it over rice, however you could probably use half to two-thirds of the bottle to make a sufficient amount of gravy.
- 4 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 750 ml sauvignon blanc wine (the cheapest you can find)
- 6 chicken breasts
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Mix all spices (except wine) in a shallow dish.
- 2. Wash chicken, pat dry.
- 3. Dip chicken in spice mix (both sides) and set aside.
- 4. Save remaining spice mix.
- 5. Heat large skillet with 1 tbsp of margarine over medium heat.
- 6. Brown 3 chicken breasts for 1 minute on each side. Add butter, brown the other 3 chicken breasts.
- 7. Place partially cooked chicken in 13x9 glass pan.
- 8. Dump remaining spice mix and one 750ml bottle of wine into skillet.
- 9. Cook over medium, stirring constantly, until mix turns into a gravy.
- 10. Pour cooked gravy over chicken.
- 11. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- 12. Serve over wild rice.