Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Monica Bhide's Modern Spice
- 1 cup thick plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemons or 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to start
- 1 lb boneless chicken, cut into 2 inch pieces (Please avoid chicken breasts, use boneless skinless thighs or chicken tenders)
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 small green chilies, finely chopped
- 20 fresh curry leaves
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt, cornstarch,ginger garlic paste,chile powder,lemon juice, food colour & salt. Mix well.The marinade will look pink now which will turn into a luscious red when the chicken is fried. Add the chicken pieces and mix to combine. If you have the time, let it marinate in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Heat about 2 cups of oil in a deep saucepan. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add a few pieces of chicken and fry till they are crisp on the outside and cooked on the inside, 2-3 minutes Remove the pieces using a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Continue until you are done with all the pieces.
- Place chicken on a serving platter.
- In a small pan/skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil and when it begins to shimmer, add the mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to sizzle, add the green chilies & curry leaves. Fry for about 30 secs. If you want you can add about 1/4 tsp more of red chilie powder to the oil just before removing it from heat.
- Pour over the chicken and serve.