Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A friend gave my girlfriend and I this recipe. It is a good recipe but can get a little too hot if you add too much chili powder.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb chicken breast fillet (approx. 3 fillets)
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup masa harina or 1 cup cornflour
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large pot over medium heat.
- Add chicken breasts to pot and brown for 4-5 minutes per side.
- Set chicken aside then add the onions and garlic to pot and sauté over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until onions begin to become translucent.
- Add chicken broth Combine masa harina with 2 cups of water in a medium bowl and whisk until blended.
- Add masa mixture to pot with onions, garlic and broth.
- Add remaining water, enchilada sauce, cheese and spices to pot and bring mixture to a boil.
- Then shred the chicken into small, bite-size pieces and add it to the pot.
- Reduce heat and simmer soup for 30-40 minutes or until thick.
- Serve soup in cups or bowls, and garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled corn tortilla chips.
I made this last night and found it real easy and tasty