Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I've not tried these yet, but they are on my 'try this' list to do soon.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup lard
- 1 cup buttermilk
- *Lardis the shortening used for these biscuits.
- If using another shortening, increase amount to 5-6 tbs.
- Into a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With a knife or pastry blender, cut in lard until mixture is the consistency of cornmeal.
- Handling as little as possible, mix in buttermilk.
- On a floured board, roll or pat out with hands until 1/2" thick.
- Cut into 3" squares.
- Arrange in pan and bake in 425F oven until golden brown, about 15 min.
- Serve hot from oven.
- Makes 12.