Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Recipe by The Honorable Jane Dee Hull - Governor of Arizona
- 1 lb boneless skinned chicken breast, cubed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch wide strips
- 1 medium sweet green pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch wide strips
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes (reserve liquid)
- 1 cup pimento stuffed olive, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 3⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons corn oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Melt 1 tablespoon unsalted butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add cumin and garlic and sauté until translucent (about 3 minutes).
- Add chicken and sauté 4 to 5 minutes; remove chicken and set aside.
- Wash the pan and return to stove over medium heat add oil and oregano sauté for one minute.
- Add peppers and onion; cook until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, their liquid, the vinegar, olives, raisins, capers, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Return chicken for the last 4 to 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Then add drained garbanzo beans.
- Heat thoroughly.
- Serve over rice.
A delicious combination of herbs, spices and textures. I pounded the chicken breasts before cooking and only used barely 1 tablespoon of butter. I didn't have rice vinegar so I used 1/2 tablespoon of cider vinegar. I served it with basmati rice, everyone enjoyed it. Thanks for posting Miller.