Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Came up with this one myself after staring into the pantry for awhile awaiting inspiration to find me. Hubby and I both liked the result, so thought I would share. It's a quick, easy combination that can be used as a zesty side salad, a chunky "salsa" or a smooth hummus-like dip or spread. Depending on your chosen texture serve on the side, with tortilla chips and/or raw veggies. Parsley or cilantro or powdered cumin to taste can be added for variation. The addition of some green color is especially nice if preparing the side salad option. ENJOY!!
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies (heat level of your choice, draining optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped black olives
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Add chick peas to food processor. Pulse for a rough chop. Transfer to mixing bowl. Add all other ingredients. Stir to combine well. Let chill at least one hour. Serve with tortilla chips. Can also mix all ingredients in food processor to desired smoothness or omit food processor and leave chick peas whole.
What a different way of eating salsa! It definitely tastes better a couple of hours after being made or even better the next day. I didn't have any black olives and used a Maui onion. I also kept most of the chickpeas whole and added a can of pinto beans. Delicious! Made for Fall PAC 2012.