Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A quick and satisfying recipe, best served when one needs to recover from a late night! Recipe from the book WHAT TO COOK When You Think There's Nothing in the House to Eat. By Arthur Schwartz. Menudo is a legendary tripe soup/stew of Mexico and the Southwest United States, where the joints that serve it often don't open until midnight. Menudo can, its devotees say prevent a hangover. Tripe soup eaters all over the world claim this, so it must work. Experts on such nutritional/medical matters explain that its the protein from the tripe and the liquid of the soup medium that stave off the side effects of overindulgence. Theoretically, high-protein chick-peas in soup should have a similar effect.
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably mexican)
- 2 cups water (or beef or chicken stock)
- 1 beef bouillon cube (omit if using stock)
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked white rice, cooked as per directions (optional)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onion in the olive oil for abour 3 minutes. (add optional bacon here, see note).
- Stir in the garlic and continue to sauté 2 more minutes. Do not brown the garlic.
- Stir in chili powder and oregano, sauté an other minute.
- Add water and bouillon cube (or stock), chick-peas and tomato paste (+can of tomatoes if using).
- Bring to a simmer and simmer steadily for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook rice separately.
- To serve, put a portion of rice in a bowl, then ladle in the hot soup.
- - For extra flavor and texture, you can also fry up a bit of chopped up bacon in the olive oil before adding the onions (keep the bacon fat! (then continue with step 2).
- -The rice is just an option but is a comforting filler.
- -Serve on its own or with hot sauce, diced avocado, green onions or cilantro.
Super tasty! It's a wonderful meal. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
Delicious and couldn't be easier!