Recipe by Evamyth
I found this in "The New Glucose Revolution", a book about eating low-GI. This recipe is different because it starts with dried chickpeas, not canned. They can be spiced with any combination of spices you enjoy. Prep time does not include the overnight soak.
Top Review by Kate J
These were just okay. I can't say they were bad, but they weren't really good either. I was hoping to have these as a good healthy snack but after they had been around for about week and it was clear we weren't going to eat them as is I ended up tossing them in a stir-fry meal to use them up.
- 1 (1 lb) package dried garbanzo beans
For CHICK DEVILS
- cayenne, to taste
- salt, to taste
For RED CHICKS
- paprika, to taste
- garlic salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the chickpeas overnight.
- The next day, drain and pat dry the chickpeas.
- Place the chickpeas in a single layer on a cookie tray.
- Bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes or until they are completely crisp.
- The chickpeas will shrink back to their original size.
- Sprinkle with your flavourings of choice and toss to mix while still hot or let the chickpeas cool down and serve plain.
- After seasoning the chickpeas, allow them to air dry for a few days to ensure that any residual moisture has evaporated.