Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this in "The New Glucose Revolution", a book about eating low-GI. This recipe is different because it starts with dried chickpeas, not canned. They can be spiced with any combination of spices you enjoy. Prep time does not include the overnight soak.
- 1 (1 lb) package dried garbanzo beans
For CHICK DEVILS
- cayenne, to taste
- salt, to taste
For RED CHICKS
- paprika, to taste
- garlic salt, to taste
- Soak the chickpeas overnight.
- The next day, drain and pat dry the chickpeas.
- Place the chickpeas in a single layer on a cookie tray.
- Bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes or until they are completely crisp.
- The chickpeas will shrink back to their original size.
- Sprinkle with your flavourings of choice and toss to mix while still hot or let the chickpeas cool down and serve plain.
- After seasoning the chickpeas, allow them to air dry for a few days to ensure that any residual moisture has evaporated.
These were just okay. I can't say they were bad, but they weren't really good either. I was hoping to have these as a good healthy snack but after they had been around for about week and it was clear we weren't going to eat them as is I ended up tossing them in a stir-fry meal to use them up.
I enjoyed making and eating these, and I will definitely make them again. I used turmeric and salt to season them. They are also very economical to make, and are very nutritious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
I wasn't sure how to rate this. My DH and I really didn't like these. But they weren't BAD. I thought they were too gritty. My kids REALLY like these a lot. So, I will make these again for my kids. (Or teach them how to make these.) So, being a healthy snack and pretty easy to make and my kids like, it does deserve 4 stars. I'm glad I tried this recipe. Thanks for sharing! :)