1/1 Photo of Chicharrones Fish Tacos With Chipotle Tartar Sauce
The key to really great chicharron is to make sure that the fried fish is crispy and not greasy. You can add some avocado slices to each taco for a creamy, cool complement. Recipe courtesy of Ingrid Hoffman.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 -2 chipotle chile in adobo, seeded and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 scallion, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt, to taste
- 2 lbs skinless red snapper fillets (or other firm, flaky white fish)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable oil, for frying (more if necessary)
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inch size)
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and sliced into 1/2 inch thick long strips
- 6 ounces arugula leaves
- 1 cup cilantro leaf
- 2 oranges, zest of
- lime wedge, for serving
- 1Tartar Sauce:.
- 2Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Adjust the salt to taste. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 4Rinse the fish under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Cut the fish into 1 inch cubes and put in a large bowl. Add the Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper and turn the fish carefully to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 20 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- 5Put the flour on a plaate and toss the fish pieces in it a few at a time, until they are all evenly coated.
- 6Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat to 375 degrees F. Carefully add a few pieces of the fish at a time, shaking off any excess flour before placing them into the oil. Fry until the fish pieces are golden brown all over, about 4-6 minutes. Then transfer them to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- 7Meanwhile, heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tortilla and warm for 10-15 seconds. Flip the tortilla and warm until it is pliant and heated through, another 10-20 seconds. Place on a plate and cover with a towel to keep them warm. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- 8Spread a dollop of the chipotle tartar sauce onto a warmed tortilla. Add a few strips of cucumber and top with 3 or 4 pieces of fish. Cover with a few arugula leaves and cilantro leaves and a sprinkling of the orange zest. Serve with more chipotle tartar sauce and the lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top South American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All South American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicharrones Fish Tacos With Chipotle Tartar Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2246.5
- Calories from Fat 1687
- Total Fat 187.4 g
- Saturated Fat 25.4 g
- Cholesterol 117.9 mg
- Sodium 1505.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 70.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo
oranges, zest of