Recipe by ~Robyn~
My nieces boyfriend made this for us for breakfast this morning, his mother makes it all the time and at first I thought hmmm no, well let me tell you I was wrong! This was SO GOOD!!!!! I can't wait to have it again!
- 1⁄2 cup pork crackling, the kind you get in a bag at the store
- 1 tablespoon light margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 1⁄3 cup salsa
- 3 tortillas (optional)
- additional salsa
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional) or monterey jack cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium (dry) skillet on medium heat add the pork cracklins (chicharrones). Lightly fry them just so that they get warmed (about 2 minutes). Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl beat the eggs.
- Add the butter or margarine to the skillet and melt.
- Add the beaten eggs.
- When the eggs are slightly done add the warm pork cracklins and gently fold into the eggs.
- Once the eggs are about done add the salsa. He said his mom uses a mild homemade salsa that she canned over the summer but a good store bought salsa would work well too. The more watery it is the better (in this particular recipe). You want the cracklins to absorb the salsa and become moist.
- If needed you can add a tiny bit of water just in case your salsa wasn't "watery" enough.
- When done. Scoop the huevos con chicharrones into the tortillas and garnish with shredded cheese and additional salsa and cilantro if desired.