Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
My nieces boyfriend made this for us for breakfast this morning, his mother makes it all the time and at first I thought hmmm no, well let me tell you I was wrong! This was SO GOOD!!!!! I can't wait to have it again!
- 1⁄2 cup pork crackling, the kind you get in a bag at the store
- 1 tablespoon light margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 1⁄3 cup salsa
- 3 tortillas (optional)
- additional salsa
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional) or monterey jack cheese (optional)
- In a medium (dry) skillet on medium heat add the pork cracklins (chicharrones). Lightly fry them just so that they get warmed (about 2 minutes). Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl beat the eggs.
- Add the butter or margarine to the skillet and melt.
- Add the beaten eggs.
- When the eggs are slightly done add the warm pork cracklins and gently fold into the eggs.
- Once the eggs are about done add the salsa. He said his mom uses a mild homemade salsa that she canned over the summer but a good store bought salsa would work well too. The more watery it is the better (in this particular recipe). You want the cracklins to absorb the salsa and become moist.
- If needed you can add a tiny bit of water just in case your salsa wasn't "watery" enough.
- When done. Scoop the huevos con chicharrones into the tortillas and garnish with shredded cheese and additional salsa and cilantro if desired.
Never thought good ol' pork rinds could make eggs dance like that.. added one chopped jalapeno, made it just right.
Made two nice wraps with mild salsa and jack cheese added to the filling. Made for the Easter Egg Hunt 2009.