This is from a garden forum about the Chicasquil (Cnidoscolus acontifolius) which is a form of tree spinach. It is an evergreen vegetable that grows like a bush. I learned of this plant recently from Guachipelin, Chef #2245414. I went to one of my favorite nurseries for something else and while the fellow was driving me around, he pointed this out as Tree Spinach. It wasn't until I got home that I realized it was on my want list for the yard. I am very lucky as this one does NOT have the stinging hairs that some have.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 30 large leaves greens, chopped and boiled (Chicasquil, Chaya or other green leaf)
- 1 1/2 cups egg noodles boiled in the leaf water
- 1 lb ground meat, browned but not drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 12 ounces tomatoes, diced (canned tomato and chilies ok)
- 2 ounces green chilies, diced
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- garlic, minced to taste
- 1Sautee onions and garlic, then add and brown meat. Set on warmer. Cut Chicasquil leaves into about 1" pieces or chop, discarding the stems and heavy veins, then boil *15* minutes, stirring frequently. Drain and reserve water.
- 2Cook noodles in Chaya water and drain. Add tomato, chilies and Chaya leaves to onion/meat mixture - heat and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in egg noodles and simmer 3 minutes more. Serves 4.
- 3NOTE: Please observe 15 minute boiling time. This allows all the Hydrocyanic Acid to be driven off as steam. A 1 minute cooking time, seen elsewhere in this blog, is insufficient to accomplish this - undercooked Chicasquil or Chaya may cause nausea and vomiting.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicasquil (Tree Spinach) Casserole With Noodles (Or Chaya)
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 43.0
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 159.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: