8 hrs 10 mins
Chicago style Italian beef sandwiches. A real favorite among Chicagoan locals. This is one of the best sandwiches that you can eat in Chicago...especially with the giardinara or sweet peppers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 -5 lb) bottom round beef roast (boneless)
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1/3 cup garlic juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth or 3 cups water
For sandwiches you will need
- 6 French rolls (Gonnella's or Turano's brand) or 6 Italian rolls (Gonnella's or Turano's brand)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar hot or mild giardiniera (Scala's or Vienna's brand)
- green bell pepper, if you like your sandwich with sweet green bell pepper, add some bell pepper slices to the au jus 2 (optional)
- mozzarella cheese, is optional for topping these sandwiches also (optional)
- 1In a crock pot combine all of your ingredients (except for the rolls and giardinara) and let it cook on low for 8 hours until the meat is tender and falling apart.
- 2Remove the meat from the au jus and shred it with a fork until it is finely shred.
- 3Return the meat to the crock pot full of au jus to get warm for 20 minutes.
- 4After the meat is warmed, fill the buns with meat, ladle or dip the sandwiches with au jus.
- 5For Chicago authenticity, add hot or mild giardiniera to the sandwiches or the sweet green bell peppers.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicago Style Italian Beef Sandwiches (Crock Pot Version)
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 850.2
- Calories from Fat 490
- Total Fat 54.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 193.5 mg
- Sodium 2724.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 64.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
bottom round beef roast