Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Chicago style Italian beef sandwiches. A real favorite among Chicagoan locals. This is one of the best sandwiches that you can eat in Chicago...especially with the giardinara or sweet peppers.
- 1 (4 -5 lb) bottom round beef roast (boneless)
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup garlic juice
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth or 3 cups water
For sandwiches you will need
- 6 French rolls (Gonnella's or Turano's brand) or 6 Italian rolls (Gonnella's or Turano's brand)
- 1 (16 ounce) jarhot or mild giardiniera (Scala's or Vienna's brand)
- green bell pepper, if you like your sandwich with sweet green bell pepper, add some bell pepper slices to the au jus 2 (optional)
- mozzarella cheese, is optional for topping these sandwiches also (optional)
- In a crock pot combine all of your ingredients (except for the rolls and giardinara) and let it cook on low for 8 hours until the meat is tender and falling apart.
- Remove the meat from the au jus and shred it with a fork until it is finely shred.
- Return the meat to the crock pot full of au jus to get warm for 20 minutes.
- After the meat is warmed, fill the buns with meat, ladle or dip the sandwiches with au jus.
- For Chicago authenticity, add hot or mild giardiniera to the sandwiches or the sweet green bell peppers.
Oh very yum! I made this today when I didn't want the same old pot roast. I wasn't sure what garlic juice was, so I looked it up. Maaan that stuff is potent. There are tons of uses for it, even bass fishing! I made as directed. I thought the olive oil was a little much, but went along with it. It turned out to be perfect. There was lots of good au jus leftover. My kids even liked this! I sweated some onions, green peppers and mushrooms under some tin foil in my skillet for about 10 minutes. This was perfect. This really couldn't be more simple. Thank you for a great dinner! :)