Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a very good and easy recipe for the Chicago-Style Italian Beef Sandwiches. May be made up well in advance and kept refrigerated.
- Place roast on a rack, in an open 13 x 9-inch roasting pan with the rack in it. Preheat oven to 325. degrees F. Bake, allowing 25 minutes per pound. Roast will be rare. Cool, and slice very thin.
- To the drippings in the pan, add the boiling water, bouillon cubes or granules, (1 bouillon cube for each cup of boiling water used). Add marjoram, thyme, oregano, hot pepper sauce, salt, pepper,.
- Worcestershire sauce, garlic cloves, and chopped green pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the thinly sliced beef and cover. Marinate in gravy in refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, heat thoroughly, and serve warm on the French bread, along with a crisp, green salad.