Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I grew up on these, it's the only way to eat hot dogs. Don't ever, ever put ketchup on them!
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes
- 16 sport bell peppers or 16 pepperoncini peppers
- yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped yellow onion (I use my food processor to get the right chop)
- 1⁄2 cup sweet pickle relish
- celery salt
- 8 beef hot dogs (Vienna beef are best)
- 8 hot dog buns, with poppy seeds
- Prepare your grill for grilling.
- Cut each tomato crosswise into 1/4-inch slices, then cut each slice in half to make half moons.
- Grill the hot dogs until browned, 4-5 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time.
- Just before serving, split the buns and grill them, cut side down until toasted, about 30 seconds.
- Place a hotdog in each bun; tuck tomato slices between each hotdog and bun, add two peppers, one on each side of each hotdog.
- Spread a generous amount of mustard on top of each dog and scatter about one T each of onion and pickle relish over each; finish with a generous dash of celery salt and serve!
I used to eat hotdogs like this years ago and loved them. Good news: they are still wonderful. This recipe is kind of a fun way to enliven a pretty standard food. Make srue the onions are really well chopped or the taste can be sort of over powering. Thanks!
Mmmmmmm we love chicago dogs. I was so excited to see your recipe, we had them right away. I bought the best beef hot dogs I have found and they were delicious. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Very Tastey, my first time having a "Chicago style hot dog!" Loved it!