Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I have been using this recipe for some time now and thought I should release it to the world! It makes the BEST dough I have ever had, even better than the famous pizza joints! I usually make this from weight and have just calculated it over to volume measurements, let me know if it doesn't come out right! *** You must use bread flour! this is important, if you do not your dough will not be the right consistency!!! the gluten is sooo important. I use King aurthur brand.
- First proof your yeast by adding it to the warm water and letting sit for 8 minutes or so.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, you can sift the flour and semolina together if you like, but it is not needed.
- Add proofed yeast to dry mixture and mix by hand, well you can use a utensil just not with an electric mixer.
- Now for the oil, add the oil to the bowl.
- Melt the butter and let cool, then add to mixture.
- Knead lightly for around 1-2 minutes. The texture here is not going to be as smooth as bread, this dough is flaky and if you over knead it it just isn't right.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. If you have more time your can punch it down after an hour and let rise again.
- Oil your deep dish pizza pan (or cake pan) and press the dough out and up the sides. Contrary to pizza delivery chains real deep dish pizza has a thin crust.
- Top with provolone, sausage, pepporoni, veggies and sauce (or whatever you like).
- Bake at 475 for 10 mins, turn and bake another 10-20 minutes.