1/1 Photo of Chicago Ribs (America's Test Kitchen)
3 hrs 30 mins
From Cook's Country episode 111, "Midwestern Favorites." Baby back ribs are the classic cut for this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs baby back ribs (2 racks)
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1Soak 1 cup hickory chips in water for 15 minutes.
- 2Using a paring knife, trim membrane off bone-side of racks. Place on a baking sheet.
- 3In a bowl, thoroughly combine rub ingredients. Remove 2 tablespoons and set aside for sauce making. Pat ribs dry and sprinkle remaining spice rub over both sides of both racks.
- 4Set barbecue grill for indirect heat. Place hickory chips in a disposable aluminum pie plate directly over heat source. Place a second, large aluminum roasting pan to one side of the heat source, and add 2 cups water. Arrange cooking grates over pans. If using gas, turn on burner under wood chips to high, and other burners to medium. Close lid and preheat 15 minutes.
- 5Reduce main burner to medium and turn other burners off. Place ribs over pan of water, bone side up. Cook 90 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- 6Place a rack over a baking sheet. Pour enough water in bottom to just cover. Transfer ribs to rack and wrap tightly in foil. Place pan in preheated 250°F oven for another 1½-2 hours. Transfer to cutting board, tent with foil and rest 10 minutes.
- 7Combine ketchup, molasses, vinegar, water, liquid smoke, and reserved spice rub. Whisk thoroughly. Mop ribs thoroughly with sauce, using about 1 cup of sauce. Serve remaining sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicago Ribs (America's Test Kitchen)
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 763.2
- Calories from Fat 446
- Total Fat 49.5 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 190.5 mg
- Sodium 778.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 21.7 g
- Protein 53.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: