Recipe by Chicagopm
I used to love the butter cookies they sold in my high school cafeteria. I've been looking for the recipe and this comes very close (if my poor old memory serves me right). These might be a little more tender than the CPS butter cookies but they're close enough for me!
Top Review by Mzhollywood
This recipe was pretty close to the cps butter cookies but missing a few important ingredients, 4 cups all purpose flour sifted, 1 3/4 cups powered sugar, 1/4 cup graduated sugar,4 sticks butter softed, 1 Tbs almond extract, Do not substitute ingredients!!!!!! Best butter lunchroom cookies ever!!!!!!
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 teaspoons sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- Mix in flour gradually.
- Using a small cookie scoop, roll dough into balls and slightly flatten on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Flatten cookies with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar if desired.
- Bake until golden brown (approximately 12-15 minutes.
- Makes about 2 dozen.