You'll be sorry you didn't grow up in Chicago, and eat one of those wonderful beef sandwiches from Carm's. This tastes identical. This wonderful recipe came from my sister Linda knowing how homesick I am for Chicago food. Start cooking 18 hours before you want to eat.
- 5 lbs rump roast (do not substitute for a different type roast)
- 2 (10 1/4 ounce) cans beef consomme (Broth)
- 1 (1 ounce) package Good Seasonings Italian salad dressing mix
- pepperoncini pepper (1/2-1 jars depending on level of spiciness)
- giardiniera (1/2-1 jars)
- 3 -5 sweet green peppers (according to size)
- 1 loaf long thin French bread
- Cook first 5 ingredients in a Crockpot on LOW for 18 (eighteen) hours.
- Turn over at the 6th and 12th hour interval.
- At the 17th hour cut sweet green peppers into 1/8 ths lengthwise and cook in water on low heat until soft.
- Cut bread into 6 inch lengths and slice on the side lengthwise.
- Pull roast apart with a fork, and using tongs, pile bread with meat and juice.
- (Do not let juice drain before putting on bread. The juice is half the taste of the sandwich.) Lay strips of green pepper on top of the meat.
- Salt to taste.
- OPEN WIDE and enjoy the most wonderful taste sensation.
- May be frozen when cooked.