Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 hrs
You'll be sorry you didn't grow up in Chicago, and eat one of those wonderful beef sandwiches from Carm's. This tastes identical. This wonderful recipe came from my sister Linda knowing how homesick I am for Chicago food. Start cooking 18 hours before you want to eat.
- 5 lbs rump roast (do not substitute for a different type roast)
- 2 (10 1/4 ounce) cans beef consomme (Broth)
- 1 (1 ounce) package Good Seasonings Italian salad dressing mix
- pepperoncini pepper (1/2-1 jars depending on level of spiciness)
- giardiniera (1/2-1 jars)
- 3 -5 sweet green peppers (according to size)
- 1 loaf long thin French bread
- Cook first 5 ingredients in a Crockpot on LOW for 18 (eighteen) hours.
- Turn over at the 6th and 12th hour interval.
- At the 17th hour cut sweet green peppers into 1/8 ths lengthwise and cook in water on low heat until soft.
- Cut bread into 6 inch lengths and slice on the side lengthwise.
- Pull roast apart with a fork, and using tongs, pile bread with meat and juice.
- (Do not let juice drain before putting on bread. The juice is half the taste of the sandwich.) Lay strips of green pepper on top of the meat.
- Salt to taste.
- OPEN WIDE and enjoy the most wonderful taste sensation.
- May be frozen when cooked.
This was our first recipe we tried and we are glad we picked this one. We absolutely loved this! We used Bell Peppers instead of the sweet peppers and didn't cook them. They still tasted great! We've been telling people about this recipe and now we have to give them a copy. We used about a pound more of rump roast because we couldn't find anything smaller. We bought a large loaf of bread and toasted it, then spooned on the Italian beef (with the juice) onto the bread and cut it from there. Also, we found that if you only cook it for 12 hours, it still comes out nice and tender. Again, we are very happy that you posted this recipe. Thanks so much!
FANTASTIC!!! I made this for my family and guests this last weekend and it was a hit. I loved the giardiniera and peppers. I also served with cheese for those that wanted it. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe.
I would give this 10 stars if I could! We used a 2 lb rump roast, trimmed the fat as much as possible, Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing Mix TSR Version Good Seasons ItalianSalad Dressing Mixby Todd Wilbur, 3/4 of a jar of pepperoncini, and since I couldn't find the giardiniera in the store, I made my own after scouring the net for a recipe Hot Italian Giardiniera Hot Italian Giardiniera. The roast was done in about 7 hours, and smelled fabulous. Since DH loves crusty bread, I toasted it in the oven first before we made sandwiches, and just used some of the peppers from the crock pot to top the sandwiches. HEAVEN! I was worried about the spiciness, and it had a lot of heat that day, but the next day the leftovers were much more mellow. If you can wait and let it sit overnight after cooking, the reheat, the flavor is phenomenal. I can't wait to have some for lunch, my mouth is watering just thinking about it! Thanks so much for posting!