Recipe by Hey Jude
Delicious chowder from the Chicago Junior League. Serve with green salad and crusty bread.
- 2 lbs haddock or 2 lbs cod fish fillets, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2 cups peeled and diced new potatoes
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry vermouth
- 2 cups boiling fish stock
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a large casserole combine the fish, potatoes and butter; add the celery leaves, bay leaves, and cloves tied in a cheesecloth bag.
- Season with the salt, pepper, and garlic; add the vermouth.
- Cover, place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes, until the fish flakes and the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the oven; discard the spice bag; pour the boiling fish stock over all.
- In a small saucepan heat, but do not boil, the half-and-half; add it to the chowder.
- Sprinkle dill on top and serve immediately.