1/2 Photos of Chicago Dog Salad
Chicago-style dogs are my favorites but not something you regularly find on street corners in Texas. ;-) This salad reverses the order and piles veggies up high underneath the dogs. Recipe adapted from Food Network and Rachael Ray
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage (or 1/2 of a 16-ounce sack shredded cabbage blend for slaw salads)
- 1 romaine lettuce hearts, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 3 large garlic dill pickles, chopped
- celery salt
- black pepper
- 8 vienna beef hot dogs, sliced into 1-inch-thick slices on an angle
- 1In the bottom of a large bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, sugar, and about 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- 2Add the onions, cabbage, romaine, tomatoes, and pickles and toss the salad.
- 3Season with celery salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- 4Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 5Add in remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil then arrange the sliced dogs in a single layer. Sear them a couple of minutes on each side. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- 6Mound up the salad on plates, top with seared dogs, and serve.
Browse Our Top Lettuces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lettuces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicago Dog Salad
Serving Size: 1 (478 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 491.8
- Calories from Fat 370
- Total Fat 41.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 47.7 mg
- Sodium 2400.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 13.7 g