Recipe by SusieQusie
Chicago-style dogs are my favorites but not something you regularly find on street corners in Texas. ;-) This salad reverses the order and piles veggies up high underneath the dogs. Recipe adapted from Food Network and Rachael Ray
Top Review by ClarkeCC
Wow what a fun salad. My teens were dubious, but every bit disappeared by the end of dinner. Next time I will probably add more celery salt, it really adds the Chicago touch. Thanks!
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage (or 1/2 of a 16-ounce sack shredded cabbage blend for slaw salads)
- 1 romaine lettuce hearts, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 3 large garlic dill pickles, chopped
- celery salt
- black pepper
- 8 vienna beef hot dogs, sliced into 1-inch-thick slices on an angle
Directions See How It's Made
- In the bottom of a large bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, sugar, and about 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Add the onions, cabbage, romaine, tomatoes, and pickles and toss the salad.
- Season with celery salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil then arrange the sliced dogs in a single layer. Sear them a couple of minutes on each side. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Mound up the salad on plates, top with seared dogs, and serve.