Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
Vegetarian burger just like the meat burger in the Windy City. Its great with Red Pepper Aioli (recipe included).
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 12 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
Red Pepper Aioli
- 1⁄2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 jarred roasted red pepper, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Bring 4 cups water, celery, onion, soy sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper to a boil in a pot over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in oats, mushrooms and flour and cook 5 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl and chill.
- Preheat oven to 350°F; coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Shape mixture into patties and bake on prepared baking sheet for 15 minutes. Flip and bake 10 more minutes. Cool.
- Heat grill to medium-high. place foil on grill and coat with cooking spray. Grill burgers on foil for 7 minutes per side. Serve.
- Red Pepper Ailoi:.
- Puree all ingredients in blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Thanks for posting the VT times recipe here. I misplaced that issue and its nice to find it again.
It was very good. It takes a while to make with all of the chopping of the vegetables. Since we don't have a grill we pan fried after baking in the oven. I do recommend trying it because it does taste like a regular burger.