Recipe by Adopted Parisian
Want to impress your guests with a fantastic deep dish pizza? Here is an easy way to do it! Makes a great party pleaser!
Top Review by Felina
I made this tonite and it was wonderful! I think there is an error in the prep instructions. I think that should read one and 1/2 cups cheese. That's what I used and it came out great! Only changes I made was to use a 4 0z. can of chunky portobello mushrooms, some fresh torn basil leaves, and some sliced roasted red pepper from a jar. It wasn't at all runny, and it would stand up well to a buffet table. I think it will even be great COLD! Instead of the frozen bread dough, I used EAZY PEEZY PIZZA DOUGH (Bread Machine Pizza Dough) Recipe #35805. It was a wonderful dough to work with and almost the perfect amount. A bit leftover for a small little pizza or calzone tomorrow. Thanks for posting this, AP!
- 3⁄4 lb Italian sausage
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup pepperoni, sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 16 ounces whole wheat bread dough or 16 ounces white bread dough, thawed
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown sausage and onion in large skillet. Drain fat. Stir in pizza sauce, mushrooms, pepperoni, garlic, and parsley.
- Flour counter and roll two thirds of bread dough into 12 inch circle. Place bread in greased 9 inch springform pan, pressing dough 1 1/2 inches up sides. Sprinkle bottom of dough with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Spoon meat filling over cheese, then sprinkle on remaining cheese.
- Roll remaining dough into 10 inch circle on lightly floured surface. Cut circle into 10 to 12 wedges. Arrange wedges on top of meat mixture, slightly overlapping edges and sealing ends to bottom crust along edge of pan. Brush top with melted margarine or butter and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake 40 minutes or until filling is hot and bread is done. If necessary, cover with foil the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove sides of springform pan. Cut into wedges.