1/1 Photo of Chicago Deep-Dish Pizza
3 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 5 mins
In 'Lidia's Italy in America' by Lidia Bastianich
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant dry yeast (1 packet)
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading the dough
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the bowl and pan
- 1Pour 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons warm (90-110 degree F) water into a bowl, then stir in the sugar and yeast.
- 2Let sit until the yeast begins to bubble, about 5 minutes.
- 3In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the flour, cornmeal, and salt on low to combine.
- 4Pour in the yeast mixture and the olive oil to combine while still mixing.
- 5Once the dough comes together, switch to the dough hook, and knead on med-high speed to make a smooth dough, about 2-3 minutes.
- 6Add a little more water or flour as needed to make a soft dough.
- 7Put the dough in an oiled bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in size, from 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 8Preheat oven to 400°; punch down the dough, and press it into a 14 x 10 inch oiled baking pan or an oiled 12 inch cast iron skillet, gently pressing the dough up the sides to make a shell.
- 9Fill the shell with an even layer of provolone and mozzarella, then spread the sauce to cover the cheese completely.
- 10Top with the pepperoni, and sprinkle with the grated cheese and oregano.
- 11Cover with foil, and bake 45 minutes.
- 12Then uncover, and bake until the crust is deep golden brown and the pizza is bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- 13Let sit about 5-10 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicago Deep-Dish Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.1
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 29.0 mg
- Sodium 574.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 15.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: