1/1 Photo of Chiarello's Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Progresso Recipe Starters's Note:
Courtesy of Progresso
My Private Note
1-cup s ...
Units: US | Metric
Roasted Winter Squash
- 29.58 ml butter
- 473.18 ml diced raw winter squash (3/4-inch, butternut, hubbard, acorn)
- salt and pepper
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 118.29 ml diced onion (1/4-inch)
- 59.14 ml diced celery (1/4-inch)
- 59.14 ml diced carrot (1/4-inch)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 907.18 g carton Progresso® chicken broth (4 cups)
- 2.46 ml ground toasted coriander, if desired
- 354.88 ml roasted winter squash (above)
- 118.29 ml half-and-half, if desired*
- 29.58 ml toasted pumpkin seeds
- 118.29 ml Progresso® plain panko crispy bread crumbs, toasted light brown in saute pan over medium heat
- 1To make roasted winter squash: Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Heat butter over medium-high heat in an ovenproof sauté pan; add diced squash, salt and pepper. When squash begins to brown, place pan in oven. Roast for 15 minutes or until medium-brown on all sides. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Puree in food processor, or mash with potato masher or ricer. Measure 1 1/2 cups squash; reserve.
- 2To make soup: Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add the onion, celery, carrot and cinnamon stick; sauté until soft but not brown, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the broth and the coriander; bring to a boil. Simmer for several minutes. Stir in reserved squash until smooth; simmer gently to let the flavors meld, about 10 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- 3Puree the soup using an immersion blender or in a blender until smooth. (The soup can be made ahead to this point, cooled, covered, and refrigerated for several days or frozen for about 1 month. It will thicken as it cools and may need thinning with broth or water when reheating.).
- 4Return the soup to the pan and reheat gently. Add the half-and-half. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Top each serving with pumpkin seeds and toasted bread crumbs.
- 5Tip *Depending on how rich you want it, or how cold it is outside, you can use cream, yogurt or mascarpone instead of the half-and-half.
- 6Copyright 2010 Michael Chiarello. Recipe provided by Chef Michael Chiarello – June 2010.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chiarello's Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 219.2
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 26.4 mg
- Sodium 78.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 3.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Progresso® chicken broth
Progresso® plain panko crispy bread crumbs