Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Heaven on a plate! Had these for dinner last night and we're wishing there had been leftovers. Served with portobello mushroom risotto and crusty bread for mopping up the sauce. Pure comfort food!
- 3 lbs boneless beef short ribs
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chianti wine
- 1 (32 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- PAT short ribs dry and season with salt and pepper.
- COAT a large, nonstick pan with olive oil. Sear the short rib pieces over medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until brown. Transfer short ribs to a bowl.
- ADD onions to pan and cook over medium heat for approximately 3 minutes. Once onions are translucent, add garlic and cook for 1 minute; do not brown. Add Chianti, rosemary, beef broth and tomatoes to the pan one at a time, allowing liquid to partially evaporate before each addition (about 2 minutes).
- RETURN short ribs to pan, including any juices that might have accumulated in the bowl. Cover and let simmer for 3 hours on low heat to complete the braising process. Remove short ribs from pan and boil the liquid until it is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- RETURN short ribs to pan and heat thoroughly.
This is Olive Garden's recipe <br/>http://www.olivegarden.com/Recipes/Main-Dishes/Chianti-Braised-Short-Ribs/ <br/><br/>Identical
I have made this twice now and it was good but a little bit too acidic for me. Between the wine and tomatoes it was a bit much. I might make it again without the tomatoes or reduce the amount by half. Other than that I love the fact that this recipe is made on the stove top, since I currently only have a toaster oven in use. Thank you.
Outstanding! Sauce was great over mashed potatoes. Leftovers were even better.Now I try to make this a day or 2 in advance because it's soooo much better after flavors have melded.