Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Chia seeds are used as a binder in lieu of bread crumbs in this recipe. And I hide some extra veggies in my sauce to get my family to eat their veggies! You can certainly add or substitute other veggies as your taste prefers. My family didn't even notice the addition of the veggies or chia seeds. So delicious!
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 2 (28 ounce) canspetite diced tomatoes
- 3 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen Baby Spinach
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb 85% lean ground beef
- 1 lb 85% ground lean pork
- 5 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup pasta sauce (from this recipe)
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 1. Steam the carrots for 20 minutes until tender.
- 2. Add the spinach to the carrots and continue to steam for 5 minutes.
- 3. Add carrots and spinach to food processor and puree (approx. 2 minutes).
- 4. Open one can of the petite diced tomatoes and add to the food processor, blending the tomatoes, carrots and spinach together until all large chunks are gone.
- 5. In a large pot, warm olive oil over medium heat.
- 6. Add the onions and saute until translucent.
- 7. Add the garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
- 8. Then add the carrot/tomato/spinach mixture,along with all the remaining SAUCE ingredients.
- 9. Simmer on low heat for 4-6 hours, uncovered. Stir occasionally.
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Add all of the meatball ingredients to a bowl, and knead with hands until combined thoroughly.
- 2. Let the mixture rest for 10 minutes so chia seeds can soften.
- 3. Form mixture into small meatballs and place in an ungreased 9x13 inch pan - should make 24 meatballs and fit the pan perfectly.
- 4. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 5. Once done, add the meatballs to the sauce cooking on the stove.
- 6. Serve over your favorite pasta or on a hoagie!