Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
Chi-Chi's Chili Con Queso was to die for and is surely missed now that they are all closed. Not to fret though since I have a copy of the food manual. Enjoy!
- 1 lb processed cheese (Velveeta works well)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 4 1⁄2 ounces canned diced green chilies, drained
- 3⁄4 ounce canned diced jalapeno, drained
- 3⁄4 ounce fresh diced green pepper
- 2 3⁄4 ounces canned diced red peppers, drained
- Cut processed cheese into pieces no more than 1 inch thick.
- Spread cheese pieces evenly in the bottom of a microwavable dish large enough for all ingredients.
- Spread all remaining ingredients evenly over the top of the processed cheese.
- Cover with a microwavable plastic lid and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Repeat the microwaving process and stirring process until melted and heated to a temperature of 150°F.
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.
I was a cook for Chi-Chi and made many many 1/2 pans of this in my day...
The original recipe contains Half and Half as was stated above but it also included Cumin. For your batch, I would say approx. 1 Tbsp. This was was one of the only recipes that did not require a seasoning packet so it was easy to reproduce.
I was craving queso, specifically chi chi's queso, my all time favorite that I haven't had in years...went online and found this one! Loved it! I did add cumin (about 1/2 Tbs) and a splash (appr 1-2 Tbs)of fat free half and half. FYI... for individuals who can't find diced red peppers in a can, in my area of the US (Midwest) they are labeled as diced red pimentos. Enjoy!
this recipe is very close to chi-chi's. however you need to add half & half to this recipe.