Recipe by Pikake21
I love to go through boxes of Chi Chi Dango while I'm in Hawai'i, and I get it at a certain specialty Japanese candy store. I was so pleased to find this recipe online at Aloha World.
Top Review by Ilovemy4kids
What I was really after was a simpler, plainer tasting mochi. Made as is, this was very nice indeed, but because it was not what we were after, I shall try this again, but not with coconut milk. Baked it wrapped in foil as suggested by the other reviewer, and the texture was indeed soft and chewy. Thank you for sharing.
- 946.36 ml mochiko sweet rice flour
- 591.47 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 340.19 g can frozen coconut milk, thawed
- 473.18 ml water
- red food coloring
- cornstarch or potato starch
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients, beat with mixer (low speed) or wire whip until smooth and all lumps dissolve.
- Add red food coloring to desired tint.
- Generously grease a 9 x 13" pan.
- Pour into pan and bake 1 hour at 325 degrees.
- Turn oven off but let sit another 15 minutes
- Cut into strips, roll in potato starch or cornstarch.
- Cut into small rectangular pieces with saran wrap covered knife for easier cutting.