1/1 Photo of Chez Panisse Lamb Stew With Dried Apricots
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
An Alice Waters stew with middle eastern flavors, it's delicious served with plain rice or a simple pilaf.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb dried apricot
- 2 1/2 lbs lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1 teaspoon rose water (optional)
- 1Soak the apricots in warm water for an hour or so while you prepare the rest of the stew.
- 2Season the lamb well with salt and pepper.
- 3Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan over medium high heat--enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
- 4Add the lamb and brown it on all sides, working in batches if necessary--do not crowd the meat.
- 5Remove the meat to a plate and pour off and discard most of the fat/oil in the pan, leaving just a thin veil of oil.
- 6Add the onions and cook them until soft--about 7 minutes.
- 7Add the lamb back in, stir in the spices and mix well, and cook for another four minutes.
- 8Add enough water to come just to the top of the meat and bring to a boil, skimming any foam that rises to the top.
- 9Turn the heat down to a simmer, cover and cook for half and hour.
- 10Whhile the lamb is cooking, drain the apricots, reserving the liquid.
- 11Chop the apricots coarsely and add them to the lamb.
- 12Now keep the pan partially covered and continue to simmer for about another hour or until the lamb is tender.
- 13Stir occasionally and, if the liquid gets too low, add some of the reserved apricot liquid.
- 14Wen the lamb is tender, skim any fat off the top, taste for salt and adjust seasonings as needed.
- 15Add the rose water (if you like--I do).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chez Panisse Lamb Stew With Dried Apricots
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 649.0
- Calories from Fat 408
- Total Fat 45.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 136.2 mg
- Sodium 120.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 21.8 g
- Protein 33.0 g