Recipe by spatchcock
This is a fabulous cake. Cut in wedges and served with fresh berries and whipped cream
Top Review by Sinclair
This is fab. I baked it in mini size also and it's texture isn't the same. Do it as written in one pan.Before baking I sprinkle it with xxxsugar and sliced almonds, it looks great.
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup almond paste (not marzipan)
- 10 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and position the rack to the center of the oven.
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch cake pan with a round of parchment paper, or butter the pan and dust it lightly with flour, tapping out any excess.
- With an electric mixer, beat together the sugar and almond paste until the paste is finely broken up (the sugar crystals helps break the paste into pieces-so don't add the butter yet!) 3.
- Now add the butter and beat for a few minutes until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, or a measuring cup with a spout, stir together the eggs with a fork then dribble it into the batter as you beat.
- Add the vanilla.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda and salt with a whisk.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the batter until just incorporated.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- The baking time may take a but longer due to the variation in different brands of almond paste.
- Cool the cake on a rack before serving.
- This cake is extremely moist and will keep well for up to a week if well-wrapped.