Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was in our local paper several years back. It was a restaurant review of Chez Jose's. I went to the restaurant; so enjoyed this dish, that I came home to prepare it for our family. It has been a favorite ever since. It is now my gift to you. And I still have it at Chez Jose's every, single time that I go there.
Special chicken recipe
- 1 roasting chicken, cut up
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 2 1⁄2 limes, juice of (divided)
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 lime, zest of (or more)
- 4 -6 corn tortillas
- 16 ounces sour cream (I use gluten free)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (I use more)
- Put chicken, onion, wine, chicken broth, garlic, white pepper, oregano, 2 teaspoons of salt and the juice from 1-1/2 limes,(bottled lime juice works nicely, also) and enough water to cover chicken. Simmer until meat falls off the bone (about 45 minutes)(I just use my pressure cooker for 35 minutes after it starts to release it's pressure.).
- Remove chicken from pot, into bowl, with a slotted spoon and allow to cool until you can handle it easily. Remove bones from the chicken. Discard bones;reserve meat. This can even be done the night before. Save the stock, it makes into a wonderful chicken soup,later.
- In a small bowl stir sour cream,the half and half, 1/2 teaspoon salt, a good pinch of cayenne pepper, remaining lime juice and rind together.
- Lightly grease microwave proof casserole dish that is big enough to lay an 8 inch corn tortilla in it flat.
- Soften the corn tortilla's in the microwave for a few minutes, layered between a clean damp kitchen towel.
- To Assemble the Enchiladas:.
- Place a corn tortilla in the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Layer with chicken meat and top with the lime/sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with cheese, repeat these layers until the ingredients are gone. The top layer shall be the lime/sour cream mixture and more cheddar cheese.
- Put in microwave for about 6 minutes or until it is bubbling nicely and cheese is melted.
A wonderful dish with zing! I usually use chicken breast cut into three parts instead of the whole chicken; it's just easier for me. If I'm only preparing a few enchiladas instead of the whole recipe I'll only make as many as I need and keep the remaining ingredients in the fridge. We don't find the leftovers as appetising when the tortilla is soggy from the sauce the next day. Overall a favorite recipe in our house!
Excellent! I used chicken thighs instead of a whole chicken for faster cooking. Your special chicken recipe added so much flavor and made it so tender! I did not layer. I filled the center of the tortilla with chicken, sour cream mixture, cheese, and salsa. I then rolled them and set them side by side in the casserole pan. Added any remaining chicken on top of the rolled tortilla, smothered it with more cheese and salsa. I baked it in the oven for 5-7 minutes until cheese melted. Topped it off with scallions and chopped fresh tomatoes. Yum!