Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Spirit of the Harvest: North American Indian Cooking
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground buffalo meat or 1 1⁄2 lbs lean beef
- pork sausage casing (3 yards)
- 2 tablespoons fat or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, see note
- 8 ounces fresh sage
- The recipe calls for 2 tbsp rendered fat.
- Season the meat with the salt and pepper and stuff the casing carefully. Do NOT puncture the casing. Tie into 5 inch lenths.
- Roast at 375F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or fry in the rendered fat until cooked completely.
- Place half the sage on the aluminum foil. Place sausage on top and cover with remaining sage. Wrap tightly and let cool for 1 1/2 hours. Unwrap and serve.