Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I would not be allowed at the family Christmas party if I didn't make these. Super easy, inexpensive and delicious. Cut into small or large bars. The filling must be added to the hot crust – do not let the crust cool. Make sure to use a 9 inch pan (not an 8 inch). Also good when made with limes.
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Rice Chex, crushed to 1/2 cup (use blender to crush easily)
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, from 2 large lemons
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 to 2 lemons)
- For the crust:.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350°F Generously butter a 9 inch baking dish.
- Make crust:.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in Rice Chex crumbs. Cut in butter using a pastry blender, a fork or two knives until butter is incorporated and the mixture has fine crumbs. Press mixture firmly into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- While crust is baking prepare filling:.
- Combine all filling ingredients. Mix until well blended. Pour over hot base as soon as the base is finished baking. Return to oven for 15-20 minutes, until top is set but not browned. Cool. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar. Cut into bars.
I cannot believe that I have found this long lost recipe!! I am 50 yrs old and made this recipe all the time when I was a kid (it was sort of "my" thing for family potlucks). I lost the recipe many years ago but couldn't remember the EXACT ingrediants until I found it here! I am sooooooooo happy! I am going to whip up a batch tonight for my kids!