Geniale Genie's Note:
Mothers used to carry around a mixture of fennel, anise, dill, and caraway seeds. They would give them to their kids to munch on at church when they were bored or hungry. This seed mixture is also great for digestion and instantly relieves gas. I know this sounds weird, but I decided to try combining these into a snack bar. These are packed with good stuff, tasty, and very filling. They will give you energy to carry on for quite a while. Instead of unsing flaked spelt cereal, you could sub with corn flakes, puffed rice, oats, etc. If you're not sure you'll like this, I suggest making 1/2 or even 1/4 of the recipe to give it a taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut, toasted
- 3 -4 cups spelt, flakes (about 1 cup once crushed)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fennel seeds (make sure you use the seeds, not the leaves)
- 1 tablespoon anise seed ((make sure you use the seeds, not the stars)
- 1/2 tablespoon dill seed (make sure you use seeds, not the leaves)
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1Place toasted sesame and sunflower seeds, coconut, fennel, anise, dill and caraway seeds, as well as spelt flakes in food processor.
- 2Pulse until finely chopped. Add raisins and pulse until chopped and well blended.
- 3On the stove top, bring peanut butter, sugar, honey, and molasses to a boil. Stirring constantly, simmer 2-3 minutes.
- 4Pour over mixed seeds and combine until well coated.
- 5Press firmly into lined 9x9 pan (I find using your hands works best for this).
- 6If desired, melt chocolate chips and pour an even layer over top.
- 7Cool completely before cutting into squares.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chewy Seed Snacks
Serving Size: 1 (1677 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.1
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 17.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 4.9 g