Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A variation of a Pillsbury recipe I've seen on 'Zaar. This one is adapted from Southern Living November '98 and results in a sweet, fudgy chewy brownie-like bar. I reduced the sugar a bit and added the coffee. I inadvertently doubled the chocolate chips so I am posting it that way. The original called for 15x10 jelly roll pan but I used a 13x9 and increased baking time by a few minutes- the result is a thicker bar but feel free to bake it in the larger pan- just reduce the baking time by 5-8 minutes.
- 2 (12 ounce) packages semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon coffee, double strength and cool
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- Microwave first 4 ingredients in microwave safe bowl at HIGH 1 1/2 minutes or until butter and chocolate melt- stirring twice- mixture will be smooth and thick.
- Stir together 1 cup melted butter and brown sugar, add eggs and vanilla until well blended; stir in chocolate mixture, flour and salt until smooth and stir in pecans.
- Pour into greased 13x9-inch pan and bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean--do not overbake.
- Cool on wire rack before cutting into bars; serve with ice cream if desired.
- Store well wrapped at room temperature or chilled for a couple of days or freeze for longer storage.