Prep 1 min
Cook 30 mins
A little time consuming but well worth the effort!!
- active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup water, warmed to 110 F
- 1 tablespoon barley malt syrup
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra
- flour, for rolling
For Shaping and baking
- 1 quart water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons barley malt syrup
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- coarse salt, for sprinkling
- Dissolve yeast with sugar and water in large bowl. Stir and let rest until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add barley malt syrup and one cup of the whole wheat flour, salt and olive oil, stirring until the consistency is like pancake batter. Add the remaining whole wheat flour and the 1/4 cup water, beating until smooth. Gradually incorporate the all-purpose flour, one cup at a time, kneading until smooth. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Return to clean, dry bowl, cover with oiled wrap and let rise 30–60 minutes or until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Place rack in upper third of oven. Grease a cookie sheet.
- Heat one quart of water with baking soda and barley malt until almost boiling. Keep on simmer until ready to use. Stir often.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto lightly floured surface. Cut dough into 20 equal pieces. Work with one piece at a time, keeping the others covered in the bowl.
- Roll a rope about 18 inches long, using the flat of your hand. Holding each end, lay the middle point onto the cookie sheet, cross the two ends, and spiral them into the fat curve of the heart shape. Gently shape the "v" of the bottom and form an attractively plump heart.
- Using a slotted spatula, ease the pretzel into the simmering water, and poach 30 seconds on each side. Remove to a drying towel and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Mix the lightly beaten egg with one tablespoon milk. When all pretzels have been formed, brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes until golden brown.