1 hr 5 mins
I've been working on developing a recipe for chewy, peanut-free granola bars so that my children can bring them to school.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups rolled barley
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup toasted almond (lightly blended) (optional)
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes (dry)
- 1 tablespoon ground roasted chicory
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon liquid lecithin
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients (barley flakes, rolled outs, crisped rice, wheat germ, flour, almonds, flax meal, and coconut flakes.
- 3At a low heat, slowly melt the sugar on the stove in a sauce pan, stirring regularly (you can substitute additional honey and molasses for this, if it's too much work, but I couldn't get the "stickiness" I wanted without melting the sugar. Once the sugar s melted through, immediately add the melted butter followed by the honey, agave nectar, and molasses. Stir in the sunflower butter, vanilla extract, and liquid lecithin. Once your wet ingredients are well combined, pour them into the dry ingredients.
- 4Mix together with a wooden spoon until all the dry ingredients are incorporated. Finally, add the chocolate chips.
- 5Spread into 2 greased 8x11 pans. Use a glass to smooth out the mixture making it uniform in thickness. Feel free to add additional chocolate chips at this time if they don't seem to be evenly dispersed. I just sprinkle them where I want them and then roll them into the mixture with the glass.
- 6Cook at 350 degrees for 20 minute.
- 7For best results, let cool in the greased pans for 12-24 hours before cutting. Cut them into bar form and they are ready to eat!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chewy, Peanut-Free, Granola Bars
Serving Size: 1 (47 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.8
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 39.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ground roasted chicory
sunflower seed butter